San Antonio.- There’s nothing quite as strong and safe as your home. It is the grounding in your life, the solid structure that keeps standing despite everything else spinning in your life. Yet that might not be the case as more and more San Antonio foundations crumble away.
Due to last year’s severe drought, the Better Business Bureau (BBB) reports a 70 percent increase in foundational repairs compared to this time last year.
While extreme drought puts intense strain on foundations, there are many reasons why a foundation may crack. For instance, major changes in water could rapidly expand and shift the soil resulting in cracks.
“The ground is always shifting around any house,” Kristi Peña, BBB’s regional public relations manager, cautioned.
While some suggest that watering foundations may help, it is widely accepted that there are no real preventative measures. Foundation problems can afflict any home at any time. New or old, wood or brick, no house is safe.
“It’s affecting everyone across the board,” Peña warned.
Yet many homeowners do not even realize the danger. Cracks creeping across walls or bricks, that pesky door or window that just doesn’t shut right – all of these could be signs of bigger issues.
Big issues mean big price tags. Foundational repairs average around $5,000 and $7,000, and that’s only if you get reliable service. Unreliable contractors could result in the cost doubling or even tripling!
BBB begs you to get a professional to do the job and follow these steps to ensure satisfaction and a sturdy home:
- Check your insurance – Some homeowner’s insurance policies cover foundational repairs, so check before signing the dotted line.
- BBB Member Pages – Look up accredited contractors at BBB’s website and be sure to get at least three quotes.
- Ask about warranties – Make sure the workmen are confident enough in their work to guarantee its safety for years to come.
- Request on-site inspection – Don’t let anyone convince you that they know what’s wrong with your home from the phone alone.
- Review! Review! Review! – Before agreeing to ANYTHING, read all the fine print on the contract. Only until you fully understand can you pick up that pen and sign the dotted line.
“We just want to make sure people make informed decisions all the time,” Peña said on behalf of BBB as a company.
You can’t build a solid life without a solid foundation. So make sure your home is sturdy and safe this summer.